The recipe was adapted from allrecipes.com and makes 12 muffins.
Here are some options using the basic muffin ingredients, changing up the spice, extract, and the type of fruit used.
Apple Spice Muffins (use vanilla extract, apple pie spice or cinnamon, and diced apples)
Blueberry Lemon (use lemon or almond extract, lemon zest, ground ginger or cinnamon, and blueberries)
Peach Cinnamon (use almond extract, ground cinnamon, and diced peaches)
Cooking Tip: I find almond extract to be more potent than vanilla, so I might suggest reducing the amount to 1/2 teaspoon.
Base Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon extract (I used almond extract)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spice (I used Saigon Cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup fruits (I used blueberries washed and dried on a paper towel)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake wrappers.
- Stir together bananas, brown sugar, applesauce, egg, and desired extract.
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, desired spice, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture and oats, with banana mixture. Gently stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in desired fruit.
- Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 full.
- Bake 16 minutes. Remove muffins from tray and cool on a wire rack.