We’re drooling over our November 2021 Chef of the Month‘s Beet-Glazed Short Rib with Carrot puree & Oyster Mushrooms recipe! Whip up Chef Pablo’s delicious dish for a tasty fall meal. You can bring these smoky roasted beets to your next potluck, and they may just become the new hit!
Braised Short Rib Ingredients
- 135 grs Braised short rib
- Beet glaze
- 70 grs Carrot puree
- 50 grs Pickled brussels
- Oyster mushrooms
- Maldon salt
- Short rib
- Beef stock
- 40 gr Rosemary
- 40 gr Kombu
- 30 gr Whole black peppercorns
- Canola oil
Braised Short Rib Directions
- Salt the short ribs and with the canola oil sear them on a pan.
- Deglaze with some of the beef stock.
- In a 4” hotel pan put the seared short ribs, the whole black peppercorns in a sachet, the rosemary and the kombu.
- Braise at 300 F for 3:40 hrs.
- Take the hotel pan out of the oven and let the short rib rest in the juice for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the beef and strain, first with a big colander to discard all the solids, then double strain 5 times with 2 fine mesh chinoises. The last time, put a sport towel between the colanders.
- Let the short rib rest in the walk-in cooler for 24 hours.
- Portion the short rib in 4.5 oz squares. Keep the trimmings for croquetas.
Beet Glaze Ingredients
- 1,000 grs Cooking jus
- 500 grs Beet juice
- 50 grs Butter
Beet Glaze Directions
- Reducte the cooking juice and beet juice until glazy, finish with the butter off heat. Keep warm.
Carrot Puree & Brussels Ingredients
- 120 grs Orange juice
- 100 grs Brown Butter
- 8.5 grs Dry Chipotle
- 50 grs Garlic Confit
- 50 gts Miso paste
- 13.5 grs Guarg gum
- Apple cider vinegar
- 85 grs Sugar
- 25 grs Whole Coriander
- Black Pepper
Carrot Puree & Brussels Directions
- Take all the ingredients to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Let cool down at room temperature and then whisk in the guar gum.
- Keep cold.
- For the Brussels: Clean the brussels, cut them in half and remove the middle hard part. Shave them and keep them on an airtight container.
Seared Oyster Mushroom Ingredients
- 1 pint Cleaned Oyster Mushrooms
- 1 tasting spoon Shallots brunoise
- 1/2 spoon Rosemary
- Sear one portion of short rib on a small saute pan, deglaze with 2 oz of beef stock, and covered, put it in the oven.
- Dress 50 grams of shaved brussels with 3 tasting spoons of pickling juice.
- Pull out the short rib and check with a cake tester that is hot in the middle. Let it rest over a resting rack.
- Heat oil on a small sauté pan and sear the mushrooms. When they are well seared on one side, flip them, and add the shallots and rosemary. Cook for 30 more seconds and salt them. Pull them out of the heat.
- Plate the warm carrot pure, place the short rib over it and glaze it with the beet glaze.
- On one side place the sautéed mushrooms and next to them the pickled Brussels sprouts.
Connect with our November 2021 Chef of the Month
Virtual Classes: https://www.pablolamon.com/virtual-cooking-classes