It was earlier this week that I managed to make my very own vegan pizza! And it was absolutely delicious! So, in order to let you enjoy it just as much as I did, I’m gonna share the recipe I used wit you! Have fun reading and eating!
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet fast-acting yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (+ more for seasoning crust)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt (+ more for crust)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Ingredients for the toppings:
- ½ cup pizza sauce (more if preferred)
- Homemade vegan cheese , sliced (or store-bought cheese)
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees °F or about 260 °C.
- Stir the yeast and ½ tablespoon sugar into the warm water until dissolved. Let it sit for 7-10 minutes, until foamy.
In a large bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, salt and remaining sugar. Whisk to combine. Add the activated yeast to the bowl along with the olive oil. Mix until all ingredients are well combined and form a dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a couple tablespoons of flour.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it back in the bowl. Don’t forget to lightly dust the bowl with flour before placing the dough ball in. Completely cover the bowl with a damp napkin or hand towel for 30 minutes until the dough doubles in size.
- You’ll need a pizza pan or large cutting board ready to transfer the pizza into and out of the oven, but you won’t be cooking on it. The pizza will be cooked on parchment paper only.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper over your work area (about the size of your pan). Dust the paper with flour so you can spread your dough easily. Cut the dough in half using a wet knife.
- Using your hands, spread the dough across the parchment paper into a round pizza shape to your desired thickness. Don’t make it too thick, for it’ll rise whilst baking.
- To season your crust, lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and Italian herbs.
- Using a spoon, spread the sauce evenly over the pizza and top with the cheese.
- Carefully slide the parchment paper onto your pan to transfer to the oven. Now slide the parchment paper back off your pan and directly onto the middle oven rack.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Love, Deem/Skye Lewis <3
Image source: Pexels